EDTECH 537 - Discussion Entry

Modular Lecture Capture Room


This post may focus more on the educational benefit of video rather than the technical reasoning. I am and have always been an advocate for using video. I have been working with film and video since the 80's and my undergraduate degree is in Radio and Television. So naturally, I think that video can be applied and used in many useful ways. When I first started teaching video and film production in 1999, I encouraged students to utilize their newly acquired video production skills. We worked with the English department to create cross-curricular assignments that used digital storytelling. This was amazing and really groundbreaking at the time. I was the first teacher to record my lectures when I had planned time off or attended a conference. The class was able to watch my lecture and the substitute was just the facilitator and assisted the students when needed. 

Years later, I came back to education and took my first job at a University. I wasn't a teacher but I did work with faculty. I was amazed at how far along, lecture capture technology has progressed. Although, not all universities have embraced the use of video to the extent that it replaces lectures, webcasts or even text-based online courses. It was strange for me to take classes myself, that didn't have video lecture components for every weekly assignment. I have many discussions before with colleagues and other students about the use of video in online classes. It's really a mixed reaction and I can't say that I agree strongly with the anti-video proponents or side with the gungho video advocates. I guess, it really depends on the circumstances. 

Here are some questions to consider if you do plan on using video for your next lecture: 

  • Before embarking on the creation of a video of your lecture or presentation to be used as a learning object, it is important that you consider if there is a ‘pedagogic’ necessity to create this type of resource?
  • Is the knowledge content of the lecture such that a video of you presenting it makes it more likely that students will be able to understand it/apply it or do whatever it is that they are required to do with it in order to achieve the learning outcomes?
  • Does your visible presentation style (how you comport yourself as you present your lecture) increase the potential for students to achieve the required learning outcomes for this particular session?
  • In general – is this method of re-presenting your lecture imperative to the learning requirements and outcomes for the session? Are the students going to learn more from engaging with this learning object if they can see you in it? (https://altc.alt.ac.uk/blog)
If the answer is No to any of these question, then maybe you can do with an audio recording. Or you could stick with a text-only version with a screencast. But then again, some students may find it helpful to connect a face to your name. Let me know what you think. Is video very important to you as a teacher or a student taking an online course? 

Reference:

ALT (2014, February 17). Lecture Capture – Sometimes it’s better to be heard…and not seen [blog post] Retrieved from https://altc.alt.ac.uk/blog/2014/02/lecture-capture-sometimes-its-better-to-be-heardand-not-seen/

Comments

  1. Ralph, this is an interesting way to do a discussion entry. You aren't so much asking the questions because you want people to respond to them in the comments, but you are posing them as a way to help guide their own behaviour. Not what most of your colleagues have done, or what I did in my sample entry, but an acceptable - and unique - way to tackle this kind of entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that when posted but see what you mean. Do you recommend me approaching question differently in the future or is this format ok?

      Delete
    2. Something to consider in the future. No need to change this entry at all.

      Delete
  2. What great questions! I find people are often so excited about using technology, they don't often think about whether or not it is the best format for use. This gives me some great considerations to run through in my mind before I use video, or other forms of technology, in my classroom. Thanks for such a practical post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check my blogroll on my page, there is a website for school video news. They provide great resources for educators looking to incorporate video into their curriculum. I hope I can also provide you assistance in the future.

      Delete
  3. Ralph,
    What an AWESOME post! This is a great reflection about the art of using video integration into classroom instruction. The questions are very well written and present important aspects to consider when utilizing video and creation of video integration into education. I especially love this inclusion from your post:

    -"Before embarking on the creation of a video of your lecture or presentation to be used as a learning object, it is important that you consider if there is a ‘pedagogic’ necessity to create this type of resource?"
    This is a powerful question!!! If there is anything I have learned from all of my EDS training while attending Boise State it is that any technology utilized and integrated should be reflective of standards and curriculum goals. That is why your first question resonated with me and it is important that it was your very first question on your list, in my humble opinion.
    Thank you for sharing this post! I love to read your posts as they are video related - which was a focus for my son for many years (as you may have read in my Guest Blog entry). I understand so much of what you blog about due to my son's video "expertise". :) (if you will)
    Great post!!!
    Philomena :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philomena. You and your son should definitely think about collaborating on projects in his medical field. I really have changed the way I look at video and its uses after working at the University level. Most faculty would like to do flipped classes but have now idea how it benefits their students. Their idea of integrating video into their curriculum doesn't enhance the students experience. I see faculty using video as a convenience to them and not as a pedagogical approach. I use video to train my student staff and demonstrate in the context of the studio control room environment. During my early redesign of our training curriculum, students have reported that they do prefer watching training videos over written documentation but also need hands on instruction. I made sure to use videos in a flipped classroom format and I believe it has been very effective in our staff training.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts