EDTECH 537: Things That I wished I had known before finishing my undergrad

My interest in film and video production started at an early age. One of the reasons that I chose to go to my high school was because of their video production program. I knew that I wanted to study film or video in college but, wasn't sure what I was getting into. The only advice that I was given was that I might consider majoring in Radio and Television or Broadcasting instead of getting a Cinema Degree. I questioned that person for a few minutes but I was soon convinced that his advice would benefit me in the future. I won't go into the comparisons of the many differences between either path in this post. What I will do is list some of the things that I wish I would have known before I finished my undergraduate degree. IThis list will benefit the broadcasting or film student and help them prepare for life after college.

10. Take a Marketing or Business class - Unless you somehow win a screenplay competition or direct an award-winning documentary and get discovered by Steven Speilberg, you'll probably have to freelance. Minoring in Marketing or taking some courses while in school, will help you gain some skills that may help you in the future.
9. Don't live in a bubble - You may feel that you have to study so hard and focus on your projects. Take time to get out and socialize and unwind. The worst thing you can do is burn out early and actually hate what studying to do.
8. Networking is key - This is a continuation of #9. The best thing that you can do is network. You'll find people that you may want to work with in the future through networking. Someone knows someone that you don't know.
7. Use Social Media To Your Advantage - Create a LinkedIn account for your professional connections. Have a separate Facebook account to share your projects with a broader audience. Make sure you utilize Twitter to engage like-minded people and to increase your social media presence.
6.  Work on a variety of projects - Shoot a project, edit a project, light, and project and direct a project. Do as much as you can and especially focus on things that you are good at doing. You don't have to do everything but make sure you are versatile.
5. Writing is key - Learn to write for a variety of projects. You may want to work in the corporate setting or even in the commercial world. There are tons of jobs that look for experienced writers. Learning to write for media or film is definitely a great skill to have.
4. Create a reel - Having a reel is very important and can help you get work. A reel should show your best work and should contain full versions of each project. Keep it simple and stay away from flashy sizzle-reels.
3. Establish great references - You'll need references for any type of work that you get. This can be useful for part-time and full-time work. Keep your references current and contact them when you are applying for jobs.
2. Have a plan - Create a plan for life after college. You may want to find roommates that are looking to freelance or start a business with you. If you are thinking about freelancing, talk to someone who understands taxes and how it applies to the type of work that you do.
1. Love what you do - If you love what you do, you'll enjoy the ride. You may end up producing corporate videos, producing the local news or directing feature films. No matter what you end up doing, make sure you love it. It's not an easy career path and can be challenging to find permanent work. I've made a career out of it and made sure that I have enjoyed every job and every project, no matter what it was.

I hope this list can help you during your journey. Please make sure to comment and add to my list.



Comments

  1. This is a useful list for many students in a variety of majors. Having knowledge of marketing/business would benefit even librarians as we "sell" what we do and the resources we have AND budgeting our funds for resources. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT list! I love it and your explanations are perfect! Your entire list is complete and perfect...but I will add a comment! The entry about networking is spot on!!!! I WISH I could go back in time and create even more connections than I did. It is awesome to have friends in different realms of education, jobs, and life, in general. Your list is a great idea!
    Philomena :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I think most undergrads could use similar advice- I think many of its would do things differently. Certainly more fun and more networking! -Melissa Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had this advice when I was in college. I didn't network as much as I should have. I did make sure to keep in contact with my professors who had connections in the industry.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts